Position Title: Music Director (click below to print)
Purpose: Plan musical programming, rehearse, and direct concerts of auditioned adult choir.
- Select music and develop program for concerts in January and May.
- Recruit, audition, and select singers.
- Recruit, audition, and select accompanist.
- Rehearse Good Company singers Monday evenings 7:15 to 9:15 PM from early September through May concert, with occasional additional special rehearsals
(such as dress rehearsals) as required.
- Select music, schedule rehearsals, and conduct occasional additional performances as approved in advance by the Good Company Board of Directors.
- Work collaboratively with grant writer and treasurer to coordinate program ideas for grant proposals and completion of documentation requirements.
- Serve as the primary artistic spokesperson for the organization, represent Good Company in media appearances, and participate in community activities
which further the positive reputation of the organization.
- Hire guest musicians for concerts within the budget adopted by the board and membership.
- Hire recording technician to ensure quality recordings of concerts.
- Find a suitable replacement if a rehearsal must be missed due to illness or unavoidable scheduling conflicts.
Relationship with the Board of Directors:
- The Music Director is accountable to the Good Company Board of Directors.
- Annual performance reviews are conducted by the Board of Directors.
- Communications are primarily through the president of the Board of Directors.
- The Music Director serves as an ex officio member of the Board of Directors and is responsible for attending board meetings at the request of the president,
with scheduling agreeable to both the Board of Directors and the Music Director.
- Paid as an independent contractor and issued Form 1099-MISC at calendar year end.
- Salary for the 2017-2018 season: $8,400 to be paid in 10 monthly installments of $840.
- No benefits, vacation, or sick leave.
- B.A. in music with a minimum of 3 years of experience as a choral conductor with documented success.
- Teaching ability, skills, and experience.
- Keyboard proficiency sufficient to manage a rehearsal in the absence of the regular accompanist.
- Documented leadership abilities.
- Strong positive interpersonal skills.
- Current budget for new music: $300 annually.
- Available library of music: more than 260 works, plus works owned by Lakewood Presbyterian Church.
- Operating budget for 2017: $18,460.
- Consideration of applications begins February 17, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.